13 février 2008

The Road (La Route)

For Cormac McCarthy.

I carry The Road with me. Right here. In my breast pocket, as close as possible to my heart. The paperback fits right in. No spare space.

I carry The Road with me and I walk. I walk in this world. Our world. The world we know. A world where it's easy to get food and shelter.

I carry The Road with me. No son on my side. No daughter either. No cart. No tarp. No ash and no motorcycle rearview mirrors.

I carry The Road with me. In the aisles of the supermaket where cans of food are neatly waiting to be taken from the shelves, paid for, and brought home.

I carry The Road with me. In the afternoon light, outside, where the sun shines. In the cities where people come and go and don't pay attention to you.

I carry The Road with me. Everywhere I go. At work, on the train, in the streets and on the roads where you see cars, bikes, motorcycles, buses and trucks.

I carry The Road with me. In this world where danger takes many forms, where evil is everywhere in disguise, where cannibals are just slightly different (better dressed and fed maybe), but greed exactly the same.

I carry The Road with me. Because, sometimes, I envy the dead too.

I carry The Road with me. Right here. In my breast pocket, as close as possible to my heart. The paperback fits right in. No spare space. Like a talisman, for darker times to come. Like a Bible from a time where there will be no God, but where the last men will be his prophets.

I carry The Road with me and in me. You should too.




The Road (La Route) par Cormac McCarthy

Date de permière publication : 26 septembre 2006 (USA), 3 janvier 2008 (France)